Basic Butler Service is a two-day course/workshop that is fun, fluid, and dynamic, as well as informative.You will leave having a very good idea of the scope and character of the butler, and possibly wanting to be one or hire one. For sure, your life will be changed because the life lessons taught are unique and very real.
You may want to take out insurance, or certainly fasten your seat belts, because these two days will be one wild ride: you will not be allowed to sit down quietly in the back, but your views and questions sought and answered.
9:30 - 17:30
Kinds of Subjects Covered
1. Answering any questions you may have already about butlers;
2. What is a butler, what is a hotel or resort butler, history, background, and value of the profession;
3. What a butler isn’t, and fake butlers;
4. Persona, behavior, mindset and service attitude of the butler:
- The secret of superior service;
- Quality awareness and speed of service;
- How to wow people most easily;
- Pro-activity, creativity, anticipation (how to);
- Attitude and motivation;
- Characteristics and qualities of the butler;
- Butlers versus robots.
5. Polishing communication skills:
- Philosophy of today's guests;
- Body language (butlers', guests'), facial expressions, verbal expressions;
- Reading guests and responding effectively to their anticipated needs;
- Always leaving the guests feeling happier;
- Manners & etiquette basics for different nationalities;
- Morals/ethics as they apply to servicing guests;
- How to stand, how to move, how to present items, carry a tray, open doors, answer the phone, bow;
- Developing superior communication skills;
- How to handle delicate situations smoothly;
- Understanding the mindset of challenging guests;
- How to handle unhappy guests.
6. Running a butler department, briefly, including
- Its structure and duties of various positions;
- Pantry set-up;
- Next-day service card;
- Maintaining and using the guest database (preferences);
- How to work with other departments;
- How to work efficiently;
- Teamwork and maintaining it over time.
7. The various services that butlers offer.
was born and raised in England, where he worked in education, hospitality, and private service before moving to the USA to continue in private service—during which time, in 1990, he established the first international butler association, The International Association of Traditional Butlers, and wrote the first modern book for the profession, The British Butler’s Bible.
Prof. Ferry took a break from service in the mid-90's to focus on his other passions, establishing an award-winning photographic and writing company that produced a wide range of educational, PR, marketing, editorial and fictional products for most major US publishers and many corporations, including authoring 20 books and hundreds of articles.
At the turn of the century, he found himself being asked to consult and train butlers, first in the private sector and then in hospitality, based on his writings for the butler profession.
At the request of peers, he founded the International Institute of Modern Butlers in 2004 to set and raise standards for the profession. He championed bringing the butler profession into the international community of the 21st Century and bringing the role to life, at a time when it was entrenched in tradition and being an object of interest as opposed to a vital force that could greatly expand service offerings in all service industries, hospitality in particular.
Professor Ferry is author of best-selling texts, such as the two-volume Serving the Wealthy and Hotel Butlers, The Great Service Differentiators. He has helped introduce several innovations and new services to the hospitality industry, including the hotel-butler rating system, the spa butler, and an international black-book database of “guests from hell.”
He currently advocates for the profession through his articles (50) and speaking engagements at various companies and universities, including Harvard and Moscow.
Together with the Institute staff, he trains butlers and other employees in luxury hotels and resorts, private villas and estates, and other service industries around the world, and specializes in uniquely effective, soft-skill training and emotional engagement that builds relationships with guests, as well as bringing fresh and astute perspectives to the challenges of hospitality management.
He is working with partners to create a whole new level of quality assurance for hotels and resorts, and working to improve service levels in the business world, particularly in the IT and robotics fields.
REINVENT. Learn for Life.
For inquiries, Look for
Benilde - Continuing Education
(+63) 8230-5100 local 3802
(+63) 8400-5425 I (+63) 8400-7405